The Atlanta Family Law News Blog - Find an Atlanta Family Attorney

Child Support Modification in Georgia

If you're a parent and would like to change the amount of child support that you receive, or perhaps pay, then it's possible to request child support modification in Georgia family court. The Fulton County superior court website states that parents are usually able to petition the court for modification as long as it has been at least two years since a judge signed an order for child support.

Section 19-6-15 of the Georgia Code states that the amount of child support a non-custodial parent pays is determined by the obligor's gross income. Non-custodial parents in Georgia will generally pay 17 to 23 percent of their gross income in child support if they're paying to support just one child. This percentage increases based on the number of children that are included in the child support order.

However, according to FindLaw's KnowledgeBase, the law was changed in 2007 to use the "shared income formula" for determining support payments. This formula uses both the mother's and the father's monthly income to determine each parent's support obligation.

FindLaw states that life events such as the loss of a job, serious injury or change in marital status or household income, can be grounds for changing a current child support arrangement. Parents might be able to avoid court proceedings if there's agreement between the two parties on child support modification.

Child support must usually be paid until the child reaches 18 years of age. Georgia courts can direct support to continue until a child finishes high school if the child is scheduled to complete high school after turning 18. More information about child support laws and child support modification can be found on the Fulton County Superior Court website at

Related Resources: